I'd have to say I politely disagree. Most of my cases were from other clinics (hence the name "referral") that had not been able to figure out what was wrong with the pet. Sometimes it was merely a case of missing equipment, and those cases were usually pretty straightforward. The rest of them made my brain feel like it was turning inside out, and I have to admit, I loved every minute of it.
The weeks were filled with emotional ups and downs, which have the effect of sucking energy from me faster than anything else. I suppose I could remain unemotional and not invest myself in my patients, but I'm not willing to do that. I believe in pouring everything you've got into your patients to get them better, and if that results in more heartbreak for me, then so be it. I don't ever want to lose the investment, I never want to be hardened or cold to the trials and tribulations of the human animal bond.
I'm finding that the emotional investment as a doctor is significantly more than that of a technician or other employee, personally. I realize it may not be the case for everyone, but as the person dealing directly with the owner, I feel as though I have a bigger connection to the relationship. I see and hear the story of the pet. Through the history and relevant information gathering I get snippets of stories showing how deep the bond grows.
"You should have seen him as a puppy! He used to trip on his ears and do somersaults!"
"We got her from the shelter when she was four. She'd been in the middle of a nasty divorce, and when the wife finally got custody, she turned her over to the shelter. The husband found out, but by that time she was already ours. We were so sad for him, but we'd already fallen in love. She's been the best dog we've ever had."
"My wife and daughter are out of town, and this cat is my little girl's world. I'll do anything to make her better."
When we could do nothing, I was there with the owners aching with their sadness. Having lost pets of my own, I can understand the depth of their agony. I like to think they understood I didn't think their emotion was silly or stupid, or that they were making a big deal over "just" a dog, or "just" a cat.
And when we could somehow help another pet, my heart soared and I could have burst into song. I understand the frustration of not knowing. I can't say I thought we performed any miracles these past two weeks. Much of it was merely taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture.
What I do know is that I'm sure I'm going to be doing what I love for a living, which is one of the greatest blessings.
5 comments:
You are going to be just the kind of vet I would want to work on my animals. I am happy for you and look forward to hearing more about this year!
Wow, I want you to be my vet!
Sounds to me like you have chosen your calling. You are the type of person I'd want to care about my animals. I'm so lucky to have a vet that cares as much about the people as he does about the animals (Hank Martin DVM). It is truly a gift of compassion and says something so strong about character. ~E.G.
Can't wait to hear more, but we understand how busy you are right now. What an incredible opportunity to be able to help the animals though.
When you have time, please drop by Go Diego Go! to pick up your Honest Scrap award.
You will be the type of vet I just lost this past year. Wanna come to Northwest Montana to practice? Then we could condition together too!! Best of luck. You'll be great!
Post a Comment